Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Fun Bible Lotto Game

I teach a group of 4th and 5th graders in Sunday school.  I enjoy this age group, and it is the age that I taught in school.  However, it can be a challenge trying to keep their interest and attention.  One thing I like to do is incorporate games that actually teach the Bible. 



After browsing on eBay, I found a vintage Bible lotto game from around the 1920s.  It contained 15 game board cards with answers and many small question cards.


After we finished our lesson, I gathered the class around the table and passed out the larger cards.  We had about ten children in attendance.  My husband and I teach together, so we both also played the game with the kids.  I feel it's important to have fun with them and give them your time.

Here is how we played:

1.  Each student had one of the larger game cards.
2.  The question cards were mixed up and scattered face-down in the middle of the table.
3.  Going clockwise, each player picked a question card and read it aloud.  Anyone could call out the answer, and the cards have the answer on them.
4.  Whoever had that answer on their bigger card took it and covered the space. 
5.  Play continued like this.  The first player to cover his or her card was the winner.

What I liked about the game:

1.  All the kids participated through the whole game.  You didn't have a whole group waiting for their turn.
2.  They learned, and the more they play this game the more they will remember the answers.
3.  No child was put on the spot.  Kids come from such a variety of backgrounds.  Some know the Bible well, and others not much at all.  If a child didn't know the answer, it didn't matter because the kids could simply call out answers.  Not knowing the answer didn't keep them from winning.  All they had to do was fill their card.
4.  The teachers, my husband and I, participated and had fun with them.  I think they really enjoyed that.

We will definitely play this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment